Sunday, April 3, 2011

Snow Cones? (Monsters Inc. Reference)

I love/hate my job! I am a Google Earth worker. That means I drive around in a cramped car with a disco globe on top, recording everything that comes my way. Currently, I am at the base of the Himalayan Mountains, and wow! It's amazing seeing it up so close! My phone says I'm at N 30° 4' 8.7383" E 79° 53' 33.2813".  I am right outside of Nepal, and this sight is breathtaking! 
Hmm... I'm looking for why this mountain range is here into my Google Android phone.. Why is it taking so long.. If only I worked for Apple.. 
Okay, so it says that this is the result of a convergent boundary. Apparently, a loooooooong time ago, two tectonic plates (Asia and India) collided against each other. In the picture below, you can see how it is a continental - continental collision (convergent collision), and what happened. 
I am scrolling through all of this information on my phone.... Oh, this is interesting! Suprisingly, there are no volcanoes here due to the fact that there is no subduction occuring. 
No surprise here, the Himalayas get a lot of earthquakes. And I mean a lot! There significantly strong, and the reason is because the India and Tibet plates keep on pushing against each other.
Apparently, about a century ago, there was a huge earthquake in India, near the Himalayan Range. It was called the Kangra Earthquake, and occured in 1905. It was a 7.5 on the Richter scale, and had over 19,000 deaths. That sucks...

No comments:

Post a Comment