Wednesday, April 6, 2011

G'day, New Zealzzzz

So cool to be in a country that has the letter "Z" in its name! I am on the private Google Cruise on my way to New Zealandddddd. There, I'll be in Christchurch ( 43°31'55.38"S, 172°38'10.37"E)with Destiny Lockhart to investigate the earthquake that occurred on Feb 22. Maybe I should just ask Google if I can also be a tectonic plate boundary detective as well as a Google Earth van driver.. great job I have..
Ok, I'm looking at the info + details.. It was a 6.3 magnitude earthquake. This was a divergent movement, which means the motion was moving apart. However, this boundary line doubles as both a divergent AND transform boundary.

http://www.gweaver.net/techhigh/projects/period1_2/Yellowstone/Images/Divergent%20Boundary.jpg

these are some photos.. of kids playing with crack.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEh3sdfW-Q7PDTXzYP2VhFI0J96ENBcgng1uLlDwE3QatoCGxlslLom_u2UuHIIYdEc55M-ET2GeFu9FF7hfp2qcsVSnON4BuNT6wKFCQIlbzDcl1FynBN9U2D3puzTS3QE8dG8kS6MZO8g/s1600/ChristchurchEarthquake.jpg
Volcanoes have been forming, some sources say. There are also continuous aftershocks, so I wouldn't recommend that you hang out in the cracks like these kids!
One interesting thing I found is the mountain range next to the boundary line. No surprise thereee!
Also, last year on September 4th, there was a 7.1 earthquake just like the most recent one. However, it was only shaking, and did not have direct damage toward Christchurch.

I'll be chilling like villain with Destiny Lockhart.. She's a cool bean.

Peace outttt

No comments:

Post a Comment