Monday, April 4, 2011

NEPAL EARTHQUAKKEEE!! SCARED!!!

**** UPDATE: A 5.7 EARTHQUAKE HIT THE INDIA - NEPAL BORDER (SUPER NEAR TO WHERE I AM!!)

  29°42'18.30"N  80°48'50.91"E Divergent Boundary Line

I felt the tremors! I felt them! Currently, I am right above the epicenter even though I REALLY don't want to be here! I was driving beside the Himalayas in Nepal, but I felt it, and continued to drive the other way. EXCEPT, the Google HQ called to tell me to stop being a wussy, and check the place out. I hate my job....... Apparently, the damage hit all the way to New Delhi, but I don't know if there is any structural damage.
I found this article too...  super crazy! http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5h-gVo-zrrNc-SCIxXOBX1rTessHg

"Geologists say it is only a matter of time before a major earthquake hits Nepal's densely populated capital Kathmandu, where 2.5 million people live in cramped, poorly-built housing with little or no awareness of the dangers."


This was written only a year ago on Feb 9, 2010. It has been only a month and a year! OMGGGGGGGGG





This was a divergent earthquake, which means that the land split apart from each other. There are currently some reported volcanoes, but not very serious. There have been little aftershocks as well.. Also, this is common because Nepal is near the Himalayas, which are continuously moving. 


http://www.kidsgeo.com/images/divergent-boundary.jpg



This is a simple representation.

2 comments:

  1. That is scary! Hope you make it out alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Matthew! This is very realistic and very AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete