Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Hello Seattle~~~

I did Google Earth picture recording at Sendai, and all I can say is I'm lucky to be alive and well! Right now, I am back in Seattle (47'24'57" N 122'20'09" W) after taking the private Google Earth plane (AWESOME!!!) and staying with family. However, I don't have much to do in Seattle except work (drive around in maaa sweet ridee) which is kind of dull. I remember that in 2001, Seattle had the Nisqually Earthquake which was a 6.8 (pretty big for the Seattle- metro area!) Luckily, our buildings were built well to handle the earthquakes.
After some research (of course on my Google Android phone), I learned that the Juan De Fuca Plate subducted under the North American Plate, raising it up, causing the earthquake. This region usually has deep earthquakes. There are also the Cascade Mountain Ranges and Mt. St. Helens.
File:JuandeFucasubduction.jpg

http://www.dnr.wa.gov/SiteCollectionImages/Places/ger_nis_quake01.jpg

Also, a little bit afterwards I went out into the ocean and looked for the boundary lines. I was surprised to see that this was a transform tectonic boundary line as well as a subduction. WOW!!!!
Location of the transform boundary line + trench:  43°46'31.56"N 128°37'47.58"W

No comments:

Post a Comment